How to Make a Wig Look Real: The Ultimate Guide
You want to rock a wig that looks so real, nobody will suspect a thing. Look no further! This ultimate guide will show you how to achieve that flawless, natural look.
Whether you’re working with a synthetic or human hair wig, we’ve got you covered. With our expert tips and tricks, you’ll be able to transform any wig into a head-turning masterpiece.
Get ready to unleash your power and confidence with a wig that’s indistinguishable from natural hair. Let’s dive in!
How to make a synthetic wig look real
To make a wig look real, start by selecting the right color that matches your natural hair.
Wear a wig cap underneath to create a seamless base.
Add some baby hairs along the hairline to mimic natural growth.
Trim the lace front for a more realistic look.
Style the wig to suit your desired look, whether it’s straight, curly, or wavy.
Step 1: Select the right color
Choose the color that matches your natural hair shade to ensure your wig looks realistic. Here’s a step-by-step guide to help you select the right color:
- Assess your undertones: Determine if your undertones are warm or cool. Warm undertones have hints of red, gold, or yellow, while cool undertones have hints of blue, ash, or silver.
- Consider your complexion: Take into account your skin tone. Fair skin tones generally look best with lighter shades like blonde or light brown, while darker skin tones can pull off deeper shades like dark brown or black.
- Look at your roots: Analyze the color of your roots to determine your natural hair shade. This will help you find a wig color that seamlessly blends with your own hair.
- Experiment with swatches: Don’t be afraid to try out different wig color swatches against your skin. This will give you a better idea of how each shade will look on you.
Step 2: Wear a wig cap
Put on an article of a wig cap to create a smooth and secure base for your wig. This essential step ensures that your wig sits comfortably and stays in place throughout the day. The wig cap acts as a barrier between your hair and the wig, preventing any stray strands from peeking through and giving your wig a natural appearance.
To wear a wig cap, first, gather your hair into a low ponytail or braid. Then, secure the wig cap over your head, making sure it covers your hairline. Adjust it to fit snugly, but not too tight, ensuring maximum comfort.
Now, you have a solid foundation for your wig, allowing it to blend seamlessly with your natural hairline. With this simple step, you can achieve a realistic and powerful look.
Step 3: Add some baby hairs
You can easily achieve a more natural and realistic look by carefully adding some baby hairs with a fine-toothed comb and a small amount of hair gel. Here’s how to do it:
- Start by sectioning off a small portion of hair at your hairline.
- Take a small amount of hair gel on your fingertips and apply it to the baby hair section.
- Use a fine-toothed comb to gently comb the baby hairs towards your forehead in short, upward strokes.
- Repeat this process along your entire hairline, making sure to create a soft and natural-looking frame around your face.
Step 4: Trim the lace front
To achieve a more seamless blend, carefully trim the lace front and secure it with adhesive. This step is crucial in making your wig look natural and realistic.
Start by placing the wig on your head and adjusting it to ensure a proper fit. Then, use sharp scissors to carefully trim the excess lace along the hairline. Take small, precise cuts, following the natural shape of your hairline. Be cautious not to cut too much, as it may ruin the overall look.
Once you have trimmed the lace, apply a thin layer of adhesive along the hairline and press the lace down firmly. This will ensure that the wig stays in place and blends seamlessly with your natural hair, giving you a powerful, confident appearance.
Step 5: Style the wig
Now, with Step 5, it’s time to get creative and style your wig to achieve the desired look and make it appear even more realistic. Here are four powerful techniques to help you achieve that stunning, natural look:
- Use heat styling tools: Whether you want loose curls, beachy waves, or sleek straight hair, heat styling tools like curling irons, flat irons, and hot rollers can transform your wig. Just remember to use a heat protectant to prevent damage.
- Add volume and texture: To give your wig more body and movement, use a teasing brush or a wide-toothed comb to gently backcomb the roots. This will create lift and volume, making your wig look fuller and more lifelike.
- Customize the parting: If your wig has a pre-set part, you can make it look more natural by using tweezers to pluck a few hairs along the parting. This will create a softer, more realistic hairline.
- Play with accessories: Don’t be afraid to experiment with hair accessories like headbands, clips, or scarves. These can add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your wig, enhancing its overall appearance.
How to make a human hair wig look real
To make your human hair wig look real, start by choosing the right wig cap that matches your scalp color.
Next, use a wig grip to secure the wig in place and prevent it from slipping.
When wearing the wig, make sure to adjust it properly so that it sits comfortably and looks natural.
Lastly, customize the wig to suit your style and maintain it regularly to keep it looking fresh and realistic.
Step 1: Choose the right wig cap
Start by always wearing the right wig cap to ensure a natural and realistic look. Here’s how to choose the perfect wig cap:
- Material: Opt for a wig cap made of high-quality, breathable material like nylon or mesh. This allows proper ventilation and prevents discomfort.
- Size: Measure your head circumference accurately to determine the right size of wig cap. A snug fit ensures a secure and seamless foundation for your wig.
- Color: Match the color of your wig cap to your scalp tone for a more authentic appearance. This creates the illusion of hair growing directly from your scalp.
- Construction: Look for wig caps with adjustable straps and combs for a secure and comfortable fit. These features ensure that your wig stays in place, even during active movements.
Step 2: Use a wig grip
You can easily enhance the realism of your human hair wig by using a wig grip and a coordinating wig cap.
A wig grip is a must-have accessory that will secure your wig in place, preventing it from shifting or slipping throughout the day. This is especially important if you lead a powerful and active lifestyle.
The wig grip is made from a stretchy, breathable material that fits snugly around your head, creating a strong foundation for your wig. Not only does it provide a secure fit, but it also helps to distribute the weight of the wig evenly, relieving any tension on your scalp.
Pairing the wig grip with a coordinating wig cap will further improve the look and feel of your wig, giving it a natural appearance and ensuring that none of your natural hair will be visible.
With these simple additions, you can confidently rock your human hair wig with power and style.
Step 3: Wear the wig properly
Make sure the wig cap is securely fastened to avoid any discomfort or visibility of your natural hair when wearing the wig.
To ensure a realistic look, follow these steps:
- Position the wig cap on your head, making sure it covers your entire hairline.
- Adjust the straps or hooks on the wig cap to achieve a snug fit.
- Carefully place the wig on top of the wig cap, starting from the front and gradually pulling it over your head.
- Use your fingers to gently adjust the wig, ensuring it’s centered and aligned with your natural hairline.
Remember, proper wig placement is crucial for a natural appearance. Take your time and make any necessary adjustments until you’re satisfied with the result.
With these steps, you’ll confidently wear your wig, exuding power and style.
Step 4: Customize the wig
Adjust the wig cap and align the wig with your natural hairline using your fingers, so that it looks more natural.
Now, it’s time to take your wig customization to the next level and make it truly your own.
Start by thinning out the wig if needed, using thinning shears to create a more natural and realistic look.
Next, pluck the hairline to mimic natural hair growth patterns and create a softer, more natural appearance. Be careful not to overpluck, as this can make the wig look sparse.
To add dimension and texture, style the wig with heat tools or rollers.
Lastly, consider adding baby hairs or sideburns to further enhance the authenticity of the wig.
With these techniques, you’ll have a customized wig that exudes power and confidence.
Step 5: Maintain the wig
To keep your wig looking natural and realistic, regularly clean and condition it with specialized wig products. Here are four steps to help you maintain your wig and ensure it stays in top shape:
- Brush your wig gently before and after each use to prevent tangles and keep it looking smooth and sleek. Use a wide-toothed comb or a wig brush specifically designed for synthetic hair.
- Wash your wig every 6-8 wears or as needed. Fill a sink or basin with cool water and add a small amount of wig shampoo. Gently swirl the wig in the water and rinse thoroughly. Avoid rubbing or wringing the wig, as this can cause damage.
- Condition your wig after washing to restore moisture and shine. Apply a small amount of wig conditioner, avoiding the roots, and leave it on for a few minutes. Rinse thoroughly with cool water.
- Allow your wig to air dry on a wig stand or mannequin head to maintain its shape and prevent damage from heat. Avoid using heat styling tools on synthetic wigs, as they can melt or damage the fibers.
Tips to make a wig look real
If you want to make your wig look real, there are a few tips you should know.
First, personalize your wig by cutting and styling it to suit your face shape and desired look.
Next, use a concealer that matches your skin tone to create a natural-looking hairline.
To reduce shine, apply a small amount of dry shampoo to the wig.
Additionally, sleeping on a satin pillowcase can help prevent tangles and frizz.
1. Personalize your wig
You can easily achieve a natural look by customizing your wig with a realistic hairline and proper styling techniques. To personalize your wig and make it look real, here are four powerful steps to follow:
- Choose the right wig: Select a wig that matches your natural hair color, texture, and length. This will help seamlessly blend the wig with your own hair.
- Create a realistic hairline: Pluck a few strands of hair from the wig’s hairline to mimic the natural hair growth pattern. This will give the appearance of a real scalp.
- Style it like your own hair: Use heat tools to add waves, curls, or straighten the wig to match your desired hairstyle. Remember to use heat protectant products to prevent damage.
- Accessorize and blend: Add accessories like headbands, scarves, or hats to enhance the natural look of your wig. Additionally, blend your natural hair with the wig using bobby pins or hair clips.
2. Use concealer to create a natural-looking hairline
Once you’ve plucked the strands to mimic natural hair growth, apply concealer along your hairline and blend it in for a seamless, natural look. This step is crucial in making your wig appear real and undetectable.
The concealer helps to cover any visible lace or gaps between your wig and your skin, creating a flawless hairline. Choose a concealer that matches your skin tone and use a small brush or your fingertips to gently apply it along the hairline. Start from the center and work your way outwards, ensuring that the concealer is evenly distributed.
Next, use a blending brush or sponge to blend the concealer into your skin, creating a seamless transition between your natural hairline and the wig. By following this technique, you’ll achieve a powerfully natural look that exudes confidence and sophistication.
3. Add dry shampoo to reduce the shine
To achieve a more natural and realistic appearance for your wig, try adding dry shampoo to reduce the shine. It can help create a more natural texture and enhance the overall look. Here’s how you can do it:
- Choose a dry shampoo specifically formulated for wigs. Look for one that’s colorless and won’t leave any residue.
- Start by shaking the dry shampoo can well to ensure even distribution of the product.
- Hold the can about 6-8 inches away from your wig and spray a light mist onto the hair, focusing on the areas that appear too shiny.
- Use your fingers or a wide-tooth comb to gently work the dry shampoo into the hair. Distribute it evenly and create a more natural texture.
4. Use a satin pillowcase
If you want to make your wig look more natural, try using a satin pillowcase. It will help reduce frizz and maintain the style overnight. Satin is a smooth and luxurious fabric that reduces friction, preventing tangles and breakage.
When you sleep on a satin pillowcase, your wig will glide effortlessly, minimizing the chances of ruining the style. The satin material also helps to retain moisture, preventing your wig from drying out and becoming brittle.
Additionally, satin’s soft and gentle touch reduces static, giving your wig a polished and natural appearance. By using a satin pillowcase, you can ensure that your wig stays in place, looking flawless and realistic.
5. Keep the wig clean
You need to regularly wash and maintain your wig in order to keep it clean and looking real. Here are four essential steps to follow:
- Start by gently brushing your wig using a wide-tooth comb or a wig brush. This will help remove any tangles or knots, ensuring that the hair looks smooth and natural.
- Fill a sink or basin with lukewarm water and add a small amount of wig shampoo. Place the wig in the water and gently swish it around, ensuring that all strands are thoroughly cleansed. Rinse the wig with cool water to remove any residue.
- After washing, apply a small amount of wig conditioner to the hair, focusing on the ends. Leave it on for a few minutes, then rinse thoroughly with cool water. This will help keep the wig soft and manageable.
- Finally, gently pat the wig dry with a towel and place it on a wig stand to air dry completely. Avoid using heat tools or blow dryers, as they can damage the fibers and make the wig lose its natural appearance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Swim or Shower With a Wig On?
You can swim or shower with a wig on, but it’s important to take precautions. Make sure the wig is securely fastened and use a swim cap or shower cap to protect it from getting wet.
How Do I Style a Wig to Match My Natural Hair Texture?
To style a wig to match your natural hair texture, start by washing and conditioning it with products that cater to your hair type. Then, use heat styling tools or techniques like braiding or twisting to recreate your desired texture.
Are There Any Special Care Instructions for Washing a Wig?
To make a wig look real, it’s important to follow special care instructions for washing. Use a gentle shampoo and conditioner, making sure to avoid excessive rubbing or tangling. Proper maintenance is key for a natural-looking wig.
Can I Use Heat Styling Tools on a Synthetic Wig?
You can use heat styling tools on a synthetic wig, but be careful not to exceed the recommended temperature. Test on a small section first and use a heat protectant spray to prevent damage.
How Long Does a Wig Typically Last Before It Needs to Be Replaced?
Wigs typically last between 6 months to a year before needing to be replaced. Factors like frequency of wear, maintenance, and quality of the wig can affect its lifespan. Proper care and storage can help prolong its longevity.
In conclusion, by following the tips and techniques mentioned in this ultimate guide, you can easily make any wig look incredibly realistic.
Whether it’s a synthetic wig or a human hair wig, there are various methods you can employ to enhance its natural appearance.
From proper styling and customization to using the right products and techniques, you now have the knowledge to transform any wig into a flawless and natural-looking hairpiece.